Monday Morning Mustang Memo
Information, News, and Updates for the 7th/8th Grade Bands
Week 24: February 17-23, 2020
Why STAY in Music?
For the next few weeks, we will feature a different video each week explaining the power, value, and importance of your child staying in band and in music.
All videos are courtesy of TMEA.
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- 2/17/20: Student Holiday
- 2/26/20: Pre-UIL Contest / Times TBA (After School) / Rockwall-Heath HS
- 2/27/20: Yearbook Picture Day / During All Band Classes / More details below!
- 3/3/20: Honors Band Percussion Rehearsal / 4:30 - 6:00 PM / Rockwall-Heath HS
- 3/6/20: Mustang Mania Rehearsal / Honors Band Only / 7:30 - 8:30 AM
- 3/6/20: End of the 3rd Nine Weeks
- 3/9 - 3/12: Spring Break
- 3/16 - 3/25: After-School UIL Rehearsals / Honors and Symphonic Band / See Schedule
- 3/24/20: UIL Concert and Sight-Reading Evaluation / Symphonic Band
- 3/25/20: UIL Concert and Sight-Reading Evaluation / Honors Band
Subscribe to the full band calendar at www.cainmustangband.org/calendar
Pre-UIL Contest (All Bands)
Wednesday, Feb. 26th, 3-5pm
801 Laurence Drive
New this year: Due to the change in the No-Pass, No-Play laws, Pre-UIL and UIL contests are no longer based on grade eligibility!
Students will receive information in class this week. Below is the attached information sheet. Here are the main points:
- When: Wednesday, February 26th from 3:00 - 5:00 PM (students will miss all of 7th and 8th periods)
- Where: Rockwall-Heath High School PAC
- Schedule: See the attachment below for your child's schedule
- Attire: Honors/Symphonic band students will wear their formal attire, Concert band students will wear their informal attire
There is NO RETURN BUS back to Cain. All students will need to be picked up from RHHS at the conclusion of their Pre-UIL performance.
Important Notes: The Pre-UIL Contest is a practice run for the real UIL Concert and Sight-Reading adjudication in March. The concert and sight-reading portions of Pre-UIL are open to the public; however, this is an extremely formal performance. Because of this, we encourage any audience member to abide by appropriate audience conduct. We also ask that you do not bring small children.
Help us Grow the Band!
If you know of parents of 5th grade students at Amy Parks, Linda Lyon, Pullen, Rochell, or Springer elementary schools, then talk to them about band!
We are the largest middle school band in the district, and we want to continue growing our program. A bigger, better 6th grade band means a bigger, better Cain band AND RHHS band as well!
Also, if your child is on the fence about staying in band, please have them talk to a band director. We want to make sure we exhaust every opportunity for your child to continue in the band program whether it is at Cain or Rockwall-Heath.
Feel free to share our UPDATED recruitment video!
Cain Yearbook Group Picture Day
Students will take group photos for the yearbook during band classes on Thursday, February 27th. We ask that each band wear the following:
- Honors Band: Formal concert attire
- Symphonic Band: Formal concert attire
- Concert Band: Informal attire (band t-shirt, jeans)
Note: There is no guarantee that students will have time to change before/after the picture. We ask that students arrive to class dressed for the picture. All classes will rehearse after the picture is over since we have plenty to do before UIL contest!
Weekly Sectional Rehearsals
After Spring Break Rehearsal Schedule:
There is no Jazz Band rehearsal this week due to the Holiday.
Here are the upcoming rehearsals:
- Friday, February 21
- Friday, February 28
- Friday, March 27
Future rehearsal dates will be chosen after UIL.
Jazz 2 rehearses from 4:00 - 4:45 PM, Jazz 1 rehearses from 4:00 - 5:30 PM.
Remind 101 Code - text @cainmsjazz to the number 81010
Jazz Band Google Classroom Code: o35ur3y
Performances: We will perform at the Cain MS Spring concert and possibly at a RHHS Jazz Concert. Other performance opportunities are very possible.
This includes all events, rehearsals, sectionals, and activities for the entire band program all year, and is updated frequently!
Contact the Mustang Band
Band Hall Hours
- M-Th: 7AM - 5:30PM
- Friday: 7AM - 4:30PM