Mustang Band Memo
Week 36: May 24-30, 2021
The 2020-2021 Year at a Glance
We have made it to the end of a wild year together, and WOW did the band thrive! Here are just a few fun facts about how awesome our year turned out:
- 50 students accepted into the 2020-2021 All-Region Honor Band. This was a campus, district, and region record. Additionally, we had 6 students earn first chair in their section.
- 38 students earned spots in the Rockwall ISD All-District Honor Band with 11 student earning first chair.
- 8 ensembles earned Superior ratings at Ensemble Contest
- 70 students earned Superior ratings at Solo Contest and 11 students earned a distinction
- Honors and Symphonic Bands were awarded Sweepstakes Awards at UIL Concert and Sight Reading Evaluation. Concert Band earned Division I & II ratings from the judges, which is the highest ratings Concert Band has ever received and the first time they have performed at UIL since 2015.
- Honors Band was named a Commended Winner in the National Wind Band Honors Contest
- The Cain Percussion Ensemble was named a WGI Finalist and earned a Box 5 rating
We are so proud of every single Mustang Band member! Our amazing band members did not just survive this year - they thrived and excelled!
Be on the lookout VERY soon for a Special Edition Memo with Summer updates!
Summer Instrument Check Out
Our inventory check is complete and we are now available to check out instruments for summer practice!
Students who need a summer instrument can check one out at any time this week. All students have to do is ask Mr. Ousey and/or Mr. Prior and we will take care of them!
There is no fee for summer instrument usage. We will send home a usage agreement that will need to be signed and returned before the last day of school.
All students need an instrument over the summer to practice. Please make sure your child checks out a summer instrument on or before Friday, May 28th!
If you have any questions, please reach out!
Students should expect to practice some over this summer in order to keep the muscles that we have worked so hard to build over the course of this year in shape. Think of it like running - taking a break for several months can cause those muscles to break down and in turn cause the student to come back to school in the fall behind the other classmates.
Students with personal instruments who plan to return to band in the fall should not "turn in" instruments to Brook Mays. This will terminate your contract and in turn you will need to start over the entire contract in the fall.
On the other hand, the summer is a GREAT time to take your instrument to Brook Mays for an annual "check-up"! The store will take care of any repairs, adjustments, oiling, etc that the instrument needs to be fully functioning for next year!
Summer is also a great time to stock up on instrument care supplies such as valve oil, slide grease, cork grease, reeds, etc.
Click here for important information about summer, including lessons, JumpStart camp, and much more!
Contact the Mustang Band
Band Hall Hours
- M-F: 7AM - 5:30PM